Rain Rain, Go Away

It does seem at times when it rains, it pours.  Bad news has a tendency to be like that. 

On the minor bad news front, our real estate agent emailed me yesterday to suggest we drop the price of our house by $9000 to try and attract more visitors and increase the likelihood that it will sell.  The bad thing about that is that when we priced the house where it is, we factored in being able to sell it for $4000 less and walking away even.  Now we’re looking at having to price it $5000 below our break even point, and still taking a lower offer.  We could, realistically, have to come up with $10,000 or more to walk away from this house.  This may put the end to the plan to move to FL.  I don’t know if we’re in a position to lower the house by that much, and I don’t know if it will sell at the price it’s listed at.  It looks like we’ll be here until the housing market changes – or at least until Brighid is done high school.  There is always the option of leaving the house up for sale, and if it sells after the half way point of school, we leave Brighid here with a grandmother until she’s done high school.  I don’t know how that will work out for everyone, or even if it’s an option.  I know I’m tired of trying to keep the place like no one lives here.  It’s been 2 months of picking up every toy as soon as someone is done with it and making sure the kids only eat over the tiled or hardwood floors so any spills are easier to clean.  It’s been 8 long weeks of walking barefoot so we don’t mark up the downstairs carpet or scuff the hardwood floors.  I feel like I’ve been really tough to live with, since I’m stressed that everything stay perfect all the time and I feel like I’m snapping way more than I should be at the girls.  Forget about the poor dog.  She seems to be spending all of her playtime outside again instead of inside with the family because I don’t want a mess downstairs.  Jim is calling the bank today to see what our options are in terms of selling the house for less than we owe, and then we’ll make the decision about what to do.

And on a more major note, my grandmother has cancer.  She will be 94 and has become increasingly more frail recently.  The decision was made a couple of weeks back to send her to live with my Aunt Barbara.  The decision was made by my aunts Barbara and Gerry.  My mom went to visit with my grandmother yesterday and she told my mom she feels like she’s in prison.  She told my mom to make sure the next time they come visit, they take her out to lunch so she doesn’t have to sit there with my aunt and uncle.  She has lived independently for years, and I think this is a huge change for her.  They have also decided not to tell her she has cancer.  I can understand that they want to protect her, especially given her very fragile health, but I also think that the way to allow her to die with dignity is to give her the opportunity to make her peace with the world before she leaves.  I would think she would want the opportunity to visit with people, phone people she hasn’t seen in a while, and spend what time she has left doing things she wants to do.  I think everyone would live their life differently if they knew they were dying, and I think they are denying her the opportunity to do that.  The one decision I do agree with is they are not going to put her through any type of treatment.  She has an aggressive pancreatic cancer and to put her through treatment only makes the time she has left more unpleasant.

So, that makes my housing woes pale in comparison.